April 6, 2013


Lorna Peel, An English Born Genealogist Turned Author

 
Lorna Peel was born in England and lived in North Wales until her late father decided to become a farmer and moved the family to Ireland. Lorna now lives in Ireland where she writes and researches her family history. She also grows fruit and vegetables and keeps chickens. Lorna has had some pretty varied jobs, including Tour Guide, Professional Genealogist, Bookseller, and Census Enumerator, but thinks she’s going to enjoy being an author best of all! 
What main genre do you write in?

At the moment it is contemporary romance but my current writing project is a historical romance set during World War II, which I think is thought of as being historical. Well, it is for me, anyway! 

What are your hobbies?

I’m a genealogist so I’ve done a lot of research into my ancestry. I’m lucky, as it is pretty varied.  

Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?

I’ve always had quite an active imagination. When I was little I made up stories in my head for my dolls to act out. My poor dolls were always falling in love and/or off on adventures! I’ve been writing those stories down since I was nineteen, around the same time I started to become interested in genealogy. 

What is your writing process? Do you outline, fly by the seat of your pants or a combination of both?

Both! With some of my WIPs I’ve known exactly where I was going but with others I didn’t have a clue! With Into the Unknown, the Second World War was the backbone and I fleshed out the story of Charlie and Kate around it. I’m a bit afraid that if I don’t know where I’m going then readers won’t either. 

Current Release Details

It is a contemporary romance called Only You and was published by Entranced Publishing on April 1, 2013.  

Can you please give us a sneak peek at any of your upcoming books?

My current writing project is called Into The Unknown and is set in England and Ireland during World War II. Kate Sheridan is an Irish emigrant facing up to the hostility towards the neutral Irish during World War II. Charlie Butler is a newly-promoted Royal Air Force pilot, struggling to come to terms with his growing love for Kate and the horrors the war will bring to them both.
I’m also jotting down ideas in a notebook for a novel set here in post Celtic-Tiger Ireland – its working title is The Sergeant. I have the setting and I have the characters but it’s definitely a ‘pantser’ as I’ve no idea where the story is going! Following the death of her father, Ellen Sutton returns to the small town where she grew up. After ten years away, coming home is harder than Ellen could ever have imagined. As it is in the very early note-writing stage it might yet all drop into place!  

Is there a genre of book you would like to write but haven't yet?

Into the Unknown is a historical novel from a pretty recent period in history. I’m a huge fan of Sharon Kay Penman’s novels and I’d love to write a historical novel set in the medieval period. Into the Unknown needed a lot of research but the research required for a medieval novel would be phenomenal! I hope it will happen one day all the same! 

What would be the best way for readers contact you? Do you have a website? Email address? MySpace site? Blog? Message Board? Group?

I have a website, blog, and contact details at www.lornapeel.com. I am also on Twitter @Peellorna and I have a Facebook Page – www.facebook.com/lornapeelauthor 

What was your first published work and when was it published?

I had a contemporary short story published in Woman’s Way (an Irish women’s magazine) back in 1996. A scan of it is now up on my Facebook Page and blog. I was doing a writing course at the time and had to submit a number of short stories to magazines and I was lucky enough to get one published. The course was interesting but it made me realize that I prefer to write longer prose and I decided to try and see if I could get a novel published.

 
Jane Hollinger is single, divorced, and the wrong side of thirty – as she puts it. Her friends are pressuring her to dive back into London’s dating pool, but she’s content with her quiet life as a genealogy teacher.
Robert Armstrong is every woman’s fantasy: handsome, charming, rich and famous. When he asks her to meet him, she convinces herself it’s because he needs her help with a mystery in his family tree. Soon she realizes he’s interested in more than her genealogical expertise. Now the paparazzi want a piece of Jane too.
Can Jane handle living — and loving — in the spotlight?

 


No comments: