April 13, 2013


Callie Hutton Returns With Emma’s Journey

 
Callie has been making up stories since elementary school, and writing gave her a way to turn off the voices in her head. After having a number of articles and interviews published in newspapers and magazines, she took on what she’d always dreamed of. Writing that book. She currently has a number of both historical and contemporary romance books published. Visit her website for more information. www.calliehutton.com
She currently lives in Oklahoma with her husband and adult children who move in and out with alarming regularity. Add three rescue dogs and the household is complete—and full. She enjoys hearing from her readers, and would love to have you visit her on Facebook. 

Could you please start by telling us a little about yourself?
I’ve been making up stories since elementary school, and writing gave me a way to turn off the voices in my head. After having a number of articles and interviews published in newspapers and magazines, I took on what I’d always dreamed of. Writing that book. I currently have a number of both historical and contemporary romance books published.  

Please tell us a little about your new release without giving too much of a spoiler away.
Emma’s Journey is about one woman’s journey from Indiana to Oregon, and from a spoiled young woman to a mature, strong one.
Emma Thorpe never wanted to leave her home in Indiana to travel on a wagon train to Oregon.
Once her husband is killed, she decides to return home, but is thwarted by the wagon master who forbids her to set out on her own, and orders her to marry one of the wagon scouts.
Wagon Scout Davis Cooper is happy with his new wife, but will he be able to keep her from running once they reach their destination? 

What was the hardest part of writing your book?
The middle. That’s the tough part in all my books. I start off, and my fingers fly across the keyboard like crazy. And somewhere along the line I figure out how I want it to end. But it’s that middle slump, where the ‘what happens next’ that gets me every time. I remember reading advice from Sandra Brown (my idol) where she said when you hit the middle slump, throw a big problem at the h/h. That seems to work. 

What comes first: the plot or the characters?
Definitely the characters. I have a general idea of what the story will be about, but my characters usually tell me how they want it to play out.  

Do you plan all your characters out before you start a story or do they develop as you write?
I use a character sketch for the hero/heroine before I start. I also have a twenty question interview I do that gives background to the character that you might never use, but it let’s you ‘get into’ their heads so you know them well, and know how they think, feel, react, etc.  

Do you have a ritual when it comes to writing? Example….get coffee, blanket, paper, pen, laptop and a comfy place.
No. I use my laptop, but it could be in bed with me, on the kitchen table, at work, at my desk, no set place. 

Do your books have a common theme or are they all different?
My characters are similar. Really, really nice guys, feisty women—even if it’s hidden in the beginning. My stories have a lot of things happening in them. My heroines often get into trouble. 

How long does it take you to write and then edit a story?
I consider writing my job. So I do it every day, at least five hours a day—except weekends. That leaves a few hours each day for research, answering emails, and marketing. With that schedule, I can usually write and edit a book in about 2-1/2 to 3 months. 

How do you go about naming characters?
Whenever I hear a name that appeals to me, I write it on a list of names I keep on my computer. However, right now I’m in the middle of using names of my sisters, nieces, daughter and future daughter-in-law. It’s fun for them, and as long as I don’t use their husband’s names, I can write the sex scenes. ::grin:: 

What do you see for the future of publishing and e-books?
No doubt e-books with continue to grow. We have a younger generation who are comfortable with technology practically from the cradle. My niece’s two year old son can select the dvd he and his twin want to watch and put it in the player and get it started. Amazing.
But since I’ve always loved holding my kids on my lap as we turned the pages of a book, and hope to do that one day with grandchildren, I don’t see ‘real’ books going the way of dinosaurs any time soon. I’m sure many other people feel the same way. 

What are your current books out right now, and what are the books coming up for release?
Released: Oklahoma Lovers series: #1-A Run for Love, #2-A Wife by Christmas, #3-A Prescription for Love. Not part of a series: An Angel in the Mail; Miss Merry’s Christmas; Daniels’ Desire; Tessa’s Teasures (contemporary), and Emma’s Journey.
In May, Entangled Publishing will release The Elusive Wife (regency), and The Wild Rose Press will release Choose Your Heart (contemporary) probably in the fall. I also plan to self-publish a time travel, Against All Time, that I’m currently working on, and another Christmas novella. 

What do you like to do when you’re not writing?
Read. I watch very little TV—especially since Downton Abbey is over for the season. I also meet with a group of friends every Sunday afternoon for a brainstorming session. Also, as this year’s president of my local chapter of RWA, I have some duties with that. 

Is there anything else you would like to tell the readers we have not touched on?
No, lol 

Where can the readers learn more about you and find your books on the web? 


Twitter: @calliehutton

 
Emma Thorpe did not want to leave her life in Indiana to travel to Oregon on a wagon train, but her husband, Peter, had other ideas. Barely three weeks into the trip, Peter is killed, and Emma is shocked that the wagon master won’t let her return home.
Wagon Scout Davis Cooper has decided this would be his last scouting trip, he intends to obtain land in the new Oregon territory, find a wife, and start a family.
When the Wagon Master orders Emma and Davis to marry, she rebels, but eventually comes to realize she can’t go it alone, no matter how stubborn she is. But nothing will make her give up her dream to return home.
Can Davis change her mind, and have the life he’s always wanted with his unexpected wife? 

 BUY

 

No comments: