October 5, 2013

Kathy L Wheeler


Kathy L Wheeler Whispers Lies That Bind
 
Kathy L Wheeler (a.k.a. Kae Elle Wheeler for her historical) has a BA degree from the University of Central Oklahoma in Management Information Systems that includes over forty credit hours of vocal music.  As a computer programmer the past fifteen years, she utilizes karaoke for her vocal music talents.  Other passions include fantasy football, NBA, musical theatre, and jazzercise.  Because to quote Nora Roberts to a one time question, if she worked out?  Her reply, “You have to get off your ass.”
Kathy has been a member of Oklahoma Romance Writers of America and RWA since March of 2007.  She grew up in the Dallas area and definitely considers herself a city girl.  She does not limit her travels to Writer Conferences in San Francisco, Washington DC, Seattle, Dallas, New Jersey, New York City and Atlanta because Jazzercise has fun conferences too (Denver, Palm Springs and Orlando). You can’t keep her home!
She is a member of several other RWA Chapters, including DARA, The Beau Monde and Passionate Ink.  She has served several positions in the OKRWA Chapter.  As an avid reader of romance and patron of theatre, her main sources of inspiration come from mostly an over-active imagination.  She currently resides in Edmond, Oklahoma with her musically talented husband, Al, and their bossy cat, Carly.
Could you please start by telling us a little about yourself?
I love to travel. This summer I went to Nationals in Atlanta. Then my friend Amanda and I drove to Pensacola for three days, stayed in a fabulous bed & breakfast that was so historic, we put on our dresses from The Beau Monde Ball and took pictures.
Please tell us a little about your new release without giving too much of a spoiler away.
Here, I’ll just give you the pitch. Would a modern day woman marry for convenience to protect the identity of her daughter?  Yes! But, Kelly Mancer doesn’t want a man. Any man. But danger has a way of changing a woman’s mind.
Alex Gentry needs Kelly Mancer, but convincing her to help him in his pursuit of a dangerous enemy who’s enamored his younger sister would not be easy.  Soon the tables turn and Kelly becomes the prey. Alex may save his sister, but at what cost?
What was the hardest part of writing your book?
This book I ran into a snag when I got to about Chapter 7.  I was just at a loss. So my critique partner at the time said, “You have to address the villain!” Well, duh! After that it was smooth sailing.
What comes first: the plot or the characters?
For me, it’s usually the characters. My strong points are emotion and dialogue. My critique partners are great at plot.
Do you plan all your characters out before you start a story or do they develop as you write?
No. I usually see the character in my head and they develop through dialogue and how they feel
Do you have a ritual when it comes to writing? Example….get coffee, blanket, paper, pen, laptop and a comfy place. 
Not really, just my handy laptop with my neoprene board on top of my lapboard . hahahaha. I guess I do have a teeny ritual, after all.
Do your books have a common theme or are they all different?
Well, I write historical and contemporary. I wouldn’t say the theme is the same, but I do see a common thread throughout my stories. And that is the hero is going to make sure he loves his girl no matter how difficult she is.  We do write fiction!
How long does it take you to write and then edit a story?
It can be as short as four months or as long as seven months. I do try to set them aside once I’ve completed it for a little bit. Editing can take forever. Lies That Bind took me about six months. I edited it as I went along. Then I put it aside for three years before going back to it. Boy! Had I learned a lot! In the meantime, I was picked up by two different publishers for four different books.  And, completed another two in those three years. I was not idle by any means.
How do you go about naming characters?
The name has to feel right to me.
What do you see for the future of publishing and e-books?
Ebooks are here to stay for sure. But I don’t see physical books going away for a very long time. Too many people love the feel and smell of them. I think the big publishers have to adjust more than us little people. Too many options.
What are your current books out right now, and what are the books coming up for release?
©              The historical under Kae Elle Wheeler include:
©    The Wronged Princess – book I (this book is free everywhere)
©    The English Lily (A Tale of the Scrimshaw Doll & the 4th book from the Cinderella Series)
©              Contemporary Romance
©    The Color of Betrayal (A Tale of the Scrimshaw Doll)
©    Quotable (Bloomington Series, Book 1)
©    Maybe It’s You (Bloomington Series, Book 2)
©    Lies That Bind (Bloomington Series, Book 3)
 
What do you like to do when you’re not writing?
Goodness, so many things. I hold season tickets to both Thunder NBA Basketball and the Broadway Series in Oklahoma City. I play fantasy football (but I’ve limited myself to only two teams this year). I love to socialize so I’m really never home. Not to mention traveling.
Is there anything else you would like to tell the readers we have not touched on?
Um, I think we’ve covered just about everything. . . Thank you so much for having me.
Where can the readers learn more about you and find your books on the web?
©              http://kathylwheeler.com
©              http://facebook.com/kathylwheeler
©              http://twitter.com/kathylwheeler
 CONTEST ALERT:  One commenter, chosen by Ms. Wheeler, will win a copy of Lies That Bind. 
 
Would a modern day woman marry for convenience to protect the identity of her daughter?  Hell yes! But, Kelly Mancer didn’t want a man.  Any man.  Danger has a way of changing a woman’s mind.
Alex Gentry needs Kelly Mancer, but convincing her to help in his pursuit of a dangerous enemy who’s enamored his younger sister would not be easy.  Soon the tables turn and Kelly becomes the prey. Alex may save his sister, but at what cost?
~~ Coming this Fall ~~

5 comments:

Calisa Rhose said...

Great interview. Your back list is growing by leaps, Kathy. Congrats and best wishes for your writing!

Anonymous said...

Good interview, Kathy. Best of luck with the new release.

Callie Hutton

Lynn Crain said...

Very nice interview, Kathy. May you have many sales for your new book!

Alicia Dean said...

This interview is SO you! :-) I enjoyed the post, and I can't wait until Lies that Bind is released, it's SUCh a wonderful book!

Kathy L Wheeler said...

Thank you for the well wishes, everyone. I'm very excited to be finishing it up. I feel like it's my most dramatic story to date. Guess, we'll see!!!