August 31, 2013

Elaine Busby


Welcome Back, Elaine Busby
Elaine Busby is an accomplished television professional with more than thirty years experience from hosting PM Magazine to creating her own NW Emmy award nominated shows. Her first novel, Burning Questions was the winner of the 2005 Timeless Love Contest. 

Could you please start by telling us a little about yourself?
I’m a lucky lady and try to have an attitude of gratitude for my healthy and happy child, a loving husband and meaningful work. I also have an aging mother with dementia and an ailing brother with advanced muscular dystrophy. I write when I can as a much needed creative outlet. 

Please tell us a little about your new release without giving too much of a spoiler away.
On the Rocks features a musician, Jade, who starts to suffer from panic attacks,
just as her career begins escalating. An L.A. restaurant owner, Calvin, helps her recover from one, and then wines and dines his way into her heart. However, Jade’s agent warns her that Calvin has an unsavory backstory.
As their romance develops, Jade starts climbing the charts with her new CD. Her panic attacks are also on the rise, and the L.A. gossip mill would love to roast Calvin; all issues she’d rather ignore than investigate.
Will Jade’s life end of “On the Rocks”, like the dark song she’s been composing? Or will she find the strength to seek the truth, and sing those secrets into the light? 

What was the hardest part of writing your book?
Perseverance and skill, courage and will are the four leaves of luck’s clover. I have to make myself stick with it, even when I am in doubt about my writing. 
 
What comes first: the plot or the characters?
Characters mixed with plot, but the characters end up writing the story in the long run. If you are a would be writer and this is your style: hold on! You’ll have a lot of fun! 
 
Do you plan all your characters out before you start a story or do they develop as you write?
I only plan the main characters, and the rest find their way into my book on their own accord.
 
Do you have a ritual when it comes to writing? Example….get coffee, blanket, paper, pen, laptop and a comfy place.
My ritual is to just show up!
 
Do your books have a common theme or are they all different?
I write romance and therefore follow a typical path for that genre. 
 
How long does it take you to write and then edit a story?
Too long! 
 
How do you go about naming characters?
I love to choose names that resonant with me, and I also put in several of my good friends names in my books as a way to honor their character. (And tease them a little bit!)
 
What so you see for the future of publishing and e-books?
Good question, and better answered by my publisher. 

What are your current books out right now, and what are the books coming up for release?
Burning Questions, published 2007, and On the Rocks, published 2012. 

What do you like to do when you’re not writing?
I am an active person: I love to golf, water and snow ski, cook, garden and read. 

Is there anything else you would like to tell the readers we have not touched on?
One of the techniques I use in writing my characters is to give them some sort of secret that they are ashamed of. This secret might lead to their undoing, or it might lead them to greater intimacy if they can learn to share it. 

Where can the readers learn more about you and find your books on the web?

1 comment:

Lynn Crain said...

Nice interview, Elaine. Sounds like a wonderful book.