December 8, 2012


Lynn Cahoon Takes Life by the Bull’s Horns
 
 
        Lynn Cahoon is a contemporary romance author with a love of hot, sexy men, real and imagined. Her alpha heroes range from rogue witch hunters to modern cowboys. And her heroines all have one thing in common, their strong need for independence. Or at least that’s what they think they want. She blogs at her website, A Fairy Tale Life. http://lynncahoon.wordpress.com/
Lynn isn’t that writer that would tell you they’ve been writing since they found a pencil in the nursery.  Lynn’s life hasn’t been easy, but she’s made the best of bad situations and tried to stay upbeat.  When Lynn tired of making up stories about what could be her life, she made some changes, (like divorce) and started using that imagination to make up real stories, with imaginary people. What Lynn Cahoon used to call day dreaming, she now calls plotting.
Please tell us your latest news!
2012 has been a good year for me.  I’ve signed 6 contracts for manuscripts.  Three of those have released this year. The Bull Rider’s Manager is my most recent release.  I’ve got a second in The Council series in edits along with two new contemporaries.  And I just had my second story published in Woman’s World in November.
2013’s looking great as well.  I’ll be teaching my time management class for NOLA’s conference in March, my chapter’s bringing in Michael Hauge in April, and this summer, I’ll be attending RWA Nationals in Atlanta.  And I’ll have at least three releases. 
Please describe your writing environment.
My husband and I share an office. But I have the big desk…LOL. I’ve got stuff all over the desk, hard to admit, but true.  I have a 32 inch monitor (again, thanks hubby). A file stand to my right, which makes me think I’m organized. A collage with my WIP (work in progress) pictures hidden behind a couple test photos I did of my paranormal cover for A Member of the Council.  And most importantly, a white board with a calendar and a note pad to keep me on track.
What are your hobbies?
Besides working, writing, and sleeping? When I’m not doing one of the above, I love crafting.  And baking.  This winter I’m buying a new sewing machine and taking up quilting again.  I love making something out of scraps – my 70’s retro shining through.  My goal this winter is to make a remembrance quilt out of our old dart league tee shirts.
Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?
One day I couldn’t be at home.  My first marriage was over, but I hadn’t called in the hearse yet.  So, with all that angst bubbling in side of me, I just drove.  When I realized I was a few hours away from the west coast and making the decision by default, I turned around.  The exit off the freeway didn’t have anything except a dirt road heading over a foothill.  I started asking why?  Why was there this exit that didn’t go anywhere?  Did someone live on that dirt road?  When I got home, I sat and wrote out my first short story.  And I was hooked.
Do you write full time? What did you do before you became a writer? Or Still do?
I don’t write full time.  I wish.  However, both my husband and I know someone has to work for the insurance.  Right now, we’re on a mission to be the one that gets enough income from other sources (like writing) to allow that person to quit.  So, I’m working for a large leasing company in an administrative capacity.  I’ve worked for a social service agency, long term care facilities, as well as a small non-profit as a grant writer. 
What do you do on a typical writing day?
I don’t have a typical writing day.  I plan on writing 7,000 words a week.  That’s 1K a day.  If I’m good, that gets done.  If I feel like I need a break, I’ll probably write less.  Because I work full time, writing has to fit in between the major rocks in my life.  I’ll write first thing in the morning, then write at lunch, and finally, if I don’t have my words in yet, I’ll make another session for more words in the evening which is a great excuse not to do the dishes.
Is there a genre of book you would like to write but haven't yet?
I have a woman’s fiction idea running through my head.  But I don’t know if I can write it yet.  The good thing is every time I think of it, the plot solidifies just a bit more.  I have a few projects to write first, then I’m digging in.
What is the best and worst advice you have ever received?
The best – two pieces.  One was ‘Just finish the book.’ You can’t call yourself a writer until you’ve finished a book.  And once you’re done, that’s when the fun of revisions starts. The other piece of advice is ‘There’s always a lake monster.’ Or in translation, there has to be conflict in the story or why write it?
The worse – get a critique partner.  I can’t write the first draft if I have editors/critiquers in my head while I’m creating.  I stop writing.  When I take my work to my chapter’s critique group, I have to be in revision mode or my playful, writing side just clams up and won’t let me finish the book.  So I don’t ask for critique unless I’m done with the first draft.
 
Is there anyone who really mentored or inspired you to keep writing until you were finally published?
 
I do have an accountability partner/friend/mentor. She’s the one who told me to just finish the book.  Actually, she’s said that to me many times over the four years I’ve known her.  She’s generous with her time and I can ask her anything about the publishing business without feeling stupid.  
 
 
 

Barb Carico’s life is all about business. Now that her best friend has tied the knot with her high school sweetheart and Barb’s new partner, she’s busier than ever. Managing Jesse Sullivan’s career and public persona can be a handful. Add in an aging mother who goes through home health nurses like candy, Barb’s hanging on the edge.
Her one salvation? Hunter Martin, prodigal son of Martin Family Dairy and, hopefully, Jesse’s next sponsor. A promise his father had already made before Hunter took over the public relations department. After his brother’s death, Hunter’s become an instant dad to his seven year old niece. More responsibility. For Hunter, the rodeo weekend with Barb is the perfect excuse to relax.
When their dinner turns into drinks and then a quick trip to a Vegas wedding chapel, both Barb and Hunter agree their nuptials were a mistake. A mistake they consummated the next evening. As soon as they’re home, the marriage will be annulled. That’s what they both want. Or at least what they tell themselves.
Upon their return, Hunter finds that distant relatives are suing him for custody of his niece. The only way for him to keep custody is to design a life that matches the promise of a perfect family. For that, he needs Barb to stay married to him. Hunter would give her anything to go along with the charade.
Barb doesn’t know anything about being a wife or mother but she needs one favor. A favor she’ll trade her lifestyle, independence, and even risk her heart to make come true.
 
 
 

No comments: